This past Saturday and Sunday, The OPP responded to five collisions involving snowmobiles.
These collisions took place at the following locations:
• On January 7, 2017, on Trail D near South Monck Drive Bracebridge where a 44 year old male operating a snowmobile on a “Closed Trail” had a collision. This male was sent to Hospital with serious injuries.
• On January 7, 2017, on an OFSC trail near Crystal Lake Road a 47 year old female struck a tree. This female was sent to Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
• On January 7, 2017, on Ship Island a 62 year old male struck a rock. This male was sent to a Toronto Hospital with life threatening injuries.
• On January 8, 2017, two snowmobile operators while snowmobiling on Georgian Bay broke through the ice, which was not fully frozen over.
The investigations into the above snowmobiling collisions are ongoing however OPP Central Region Traffic Management and the Snowmobile All Terrain Vessel Enforcement (SAVE) team would again strongly suggest to all snowmobile operators to follow the following tips:
– Never operate while under the influence of Alcohol or Drugs
– Remember … NO ICE IS SAFE ICE! Conditions change due to several factors. What was safe last week may not be safe this week
– Check the ice thickness and quality with local ice hut operators and MNRF before riding on any frozen waterway
– Wear a buoyant snowmobile suit and carry ice picks on you
– Only travel on ice that is already well-tracked and stay on the marked Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Club (OFSC) trails
– Never travel on a closed Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Club (OFSC) trail
– Watch out for obstacles like rocks, stumps, docks, pressure cracks, fishing huts and open water created by bubblers and river mouths
– Wear a proper snowmobile helmet and ensure it is FASTENED!
– Carry a fully charged cellular phone in a waterproof case
– Stop at Reduce Impaired Driving Everywhere (RIDE) programs and always have your documentation ready for inspection
The Ontario Provincial Police would like to remind snowmobile operators the speed limit is 50km/h on the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs (OFSC) trails and 20km/h on city streets. Visit opp.ca for more information.