Welcome to RVH Health Bytes! We’ve teamed up with the amazing staff at RVH to bring you regular short videos to help you make the best of your health.
Since it’s a new year and many resolutions every year are to quit smoking, we’re kick starting this new video podcast by helping you “butt out”.
Here’s RVH Respiratory Therapist, Ginny Myles to tell you just why you should quit smoking:
DID YOU KNOW?
- Smoking is no longer considered a habit – it’s an addiction
- When you smoke you inhale 6,000 toxic chemicals into your body
- These chemicals affect every organ in your body
- Good news is once you stop smoking your body immediately starts to repair itself
- Within just 8 hours of being smoke free your blood pressure will go down
- Within 24 hours your risk of a heart attack starts to drop
- In 14 days your circulation increases and the airways in your lungs relax
- In one year your added risk of smoking-related heart disease or stroke is cut in half
- In five years your risk of stroke is the same as someone who never smoked
- In 15 years your risk of heart disease is similar to a non-smoker
In our next video podcast – Ginny Myles will give you some practical tips on how to quit smoking.