Queen Elizabeth II quietly celebrated her 91st birthday today!
Britain on the other hand wasn’t so quiet about the celebration as there was gun salutes all over the country.
A troop of the Royal Horse Artillery rode horse-and-gun carriages past Buckingham Palace before staging a 41-gun salute in Hyde Park at noon. An hour later, there was a 62-gun salute at the Tower of London.
Check out these facts and milestones for Queen Elizabeth II
- She is is Britain’s oldest and longest-reigning monarch, after becoming queen on Feb. 8, 1952. She has reigned for 65 years and 75 days
- She is also the world’s longest-reigning living monarch since the death of Thailand’s King Bhumibol Adulyadej last year.
- She has had 13 British prime ministers serve during her reign, from Winston Churchill to Theresa May.
- She has met 12 U.S. presidents, from Herbert Hoover (after he left office) to Barack Obama, more than a quarter of all the U.S. presidents since Independence. She is due to host President Donald Trump for a state visit later this year.
- She has travelled more than 1 million miles (1.6 million kilometres) on official trips, visiting 106 countries.
- She has visited Canada 22 times —the largest number of trips to any nation.
- She conducted 332 official engagements in 2016.